Upper Skagit Library District, Concrete, Washington
Announces a search for a Library Director
Nestled in the foothills of the majestic Cascade Mountains in Northwest Washington, the Upper Skagit Library District serves a rural population of 4,100 in eastern Skagit County. This partial-county library district was formed by a vote of the people in 2001 and opened to the public in January 2005. The library offers a full range of library services including public access to high speed Internet via wireless and local area networks. The library just moved into a renovated building of 3,700 square feet. A dedicated Board of Trustees appointed by County Commissioners is the sole governing unit for the library.
The library enjoys easy user access in the mercantile center of Concrete, WA (population 883), a rural and majestic community on the North Cascades Highway along the Skagit, Cascade, and Sauk Rivers. The area offers friendly people and opportunities to enjoy recreational activities in a lovely, natural setting. We are best known for our wild and scenic rivers, which boast salmon runs, eagles, and wildlife galore.
The Director of the Upper Skagit Library will be responsible for the daily operations of the library, including personnel, financial management, library automation, and other technologies. The position will manage all aspects of collection development. The Director will oversee educational and cultural programming, stay current on the latest technologies, and share the vision of the library within our community. The position requires a high level of independence with accountability directly to the Board of Trustees. The successful candidate will be committed to leading the library to its next level of growth.
- Demonstrated public speaking ability in the community
- Experience in budgeting and administration
- Solid background in supervising and managing staff
- Proficiency in verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with people of all ages, diverse backgrounds, and education levels
- Demonstrated deep understanding of rural library issues
- Ability to work in an open floor-plan library
A Master’s in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited program and Washington State Library certification. Five years public library experience including at least two years experience in management and staff supervision required.
Only applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be considered. A completed application, cover letter, and resume must be received by 5:00 pm, April 30. The documents can be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paid Leave: vacation 10 hours per month with longevity increases; sick leave 8 hours per month; 11 holidays.
- Retirement: The library district and employees contribute jointly to the State of Washington Public Employee’s Retirement System.
- Insurance: The director position receives compensation for health insurance.
- Entry wage: $60,000
- Hours: 40-hour workweek with some evening and Saturdays possible.
Equal Opportunity/Non-Discriminatory Employer:
All Qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, age, sex, religion, veteran status, marital status, or the presence of physical, sensory or mental disability, or any other characteristic protected by law, except where specific age, sex, or physical requirements constitute a bona fide occupational qualification necessary for proper and efficient performance of that occupation.